10.18.2010

in the wee hours

Lately Blakely has had a herder time falling asleep at night.  I have thought of several reasons as to why this is happening.  For starters, she drifts off to sleep at 8 or 9 at night, but then wakes up at 10:30 ready to rock 'n roll.  Also, I think she is starting to teeth.  I can't see anything yet, but I can feel a very small bump in her gum that may be an emerging little baby tooth *tear*  She doesn't have any other symptoms of teething yet like the diarrhea or fever so....who knows. 

Point is, despite the fact that I'm exhausted when midnight rolls around, and I really want Blakely to fall asleep, I love love love holding her, rocking her, snuggling her, kissing her, and rubbing her little fuzzy head until she falls asleep.  Those wee hours of the night, and morning in some cases, are absolutely priceless to me.  Jeff always tells me to put her down and let her fall asleep on her own, and sometimes I do, but I just can't help myself.  That sweet little face just calls to me.  I'm not going to be able to do this forever and I am going to take advantage of every second that she is small enough to scoop up in my arms!

I'm going to be like the mom in this book.  One of my all-time favorites!


It is in those wee hours that I thank God for her and the life I have been blessed with.  When the house is silent and everyone is asleep, but me, I think about how lucky I am.  I think about the kind of wife and mother I want to be and the kind woman I want to help Blakely become.  A true southern belle who is smart, classy, polite, generous, loving and in love.  I want her to appreciate the small things in life.  To always be curious and imaginative.  To love nature and all of the creatures in it.  I want to show her the world and protect her from it all at the same time.  These are the things I think about when everyone else is dreaming.  Oh Blakely, you have changed me forever. 

"I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always.  As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

1 comment:

  1. This just made me cry... This was and still is one of my favorite books. Cannot wait to read it to our kids one day.

    ReplyDelete